Wednesday, March 9

Perfect Balance?

Can we have it all? That is the question. I had a lecturer once. I thought she had it all - a great face, a gorgeous body, way too much brain and a gorgeous husband and two kids. I thought she had it all figured out.  And then suddenly we hear she is getting a divorce and her husband is moving away with her kids. A great face. Check. An ideal career. Check. A good personal life. Uncheck.

This made me wonder how many of us can have it all. Subconsciously whenever you think about growing up and living on your own, you always imagine yourself well-settled with a great career and a blooming personal life. But how many of us actually get around to achieving it? We dream about it enough times - To have a great career. We work for it but where does it leave time for a personal life in between all that hectic schedule? We want to have a great relationship, search for the love of our life but where does it leave time for one to concentrate on ones work.

We have heard it enough times before - Spouses complaining that their husbands don't spend enough time with the family, husbands getting held up at work, girls opting their careers over a relationship. We have seen it numerous time. Don't tell me you have never been distracted from work because your girlfriend/boyfriend was sick or upset? And when do you not interrupt a family getaway for an urgent overtime at work?

They say the answer is all about balance. To be able to balance our career perfectly with our personal life. But I am asking, where is the balance between all that? How do we manage it? How do we know how much more back-steps a career can take in regard to a personal life or how strained a relationship can become because of a career? Is is always going to be One or the Other?

I am not saying I haven't met anyone who hasn't juggled a personal life and a career together. What I find disheartening is the number of those people. There are rarely few who actually do it. And even when they have done it, ask that person and he/she will tell you of a time when his career and personal life weren't on such harmonious grounds. I guess I am searching for a rather unrealistically perfect way of balancing the two but if there really was a way, I would want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment